Monday 3 October 2011

Interning. My love/hate relationship.

UGGGGGH TIRED.


Currently I’m interning at one of the most diverse, artistically charged and inspiring galleries. The collection of work, people and artists pushed into a space that feels safe and right. Along with the gallery upstairs is a exquisite work environment, even with me not being a print based artist (it’s a print gallery) I am still completely inspires me.  This was my thing. My path. To pack up my belongings and leave my darling Edinburgh and group of friends that overtime have accumulated into my family. I had to put work and my future first. I’ve given up alot to cross the sea into a new place. 

THE POSITIVE is that I do deeply enjoy my work; I’m learning so much every day, given responsibilities outside the boundaries of fetching coffee. I love history and being in charge of archiving is a dream. Literally I could go in everyday and work to the bone and still be smiling. THE NEGATIVE it’s unpaid. I don’t know anyone in this city. Having to work in some bullshit shop to support myself (barely). The 7day weeks are killing me slowly but surely.  To anyone who is deciding to pursue an internship I STRONGLY advise you to be unbelievably passionate about what you’re going to do. So when your there busting your ass it’s worth it. Unless you have daddies trust fund and don’t plan to support yourself. If so do whatever you like. Buy a hot air balloon. Fly to Paris etc. etc. etccccccc You can almost taste my jealousy for the Chanel clad interns I run into. Castration comes to mind. BUT HEY HO. Work supposedly makes you stronger, and I plan to work until I make it. Or die. Death may come quicker.


PS. Have a smoke and listen to this. Instant calm. Like smash. Less lumps.


No comments:

Post a Comment